“Turn your hot dog into a happy hound!”
Top tips for keeping your dog cool. When temperatures are soaring, it is important to keep your dogs in mind when it comes to keeping cool. Here are our top tips for beating the summer heat!
- Don’t forget your dog can’t sweat! They keep cool by panting so if you see your dog drooling excessively it means they are overheating.
- Don’t forget the water bottle! Different dogs have different needs when it comes to battling the heat. Dogs with darker coats absorb more heat than those with lighter coats. Also don’t forget to carry a bottle of water when going on a walk with your dog.
- Pooches cools from the bottom up. Don’t forget to spray the paws and stomach of your dog rather than just the top when spraying with water. Also a wet towel is much more effective under your dog rather than on top.
- Get Wet! Swimming is a great way to quickly cool off your hot dog, but be sure not to let your dog become overtired in the water. Even good swimmers can tire to the point where it could get dangerous.
- Mind those paws! Try to walk your dog on grass and avoid concrete or paving. Walking on hot pavements can burn your dogs pads so park or forest walks are best.
- Cream up! Shorter haired and light coloured dogs need to wear sunscream particularly round their most sensitive area. Any areas that have little or no hair should be sunscreened. Consult your vet to see if this is something that applies to your dog.
- Avoid the summer crowds. While it may seem like a good idea to bring your pooch along to summer events, the heat noise and crowds mean your dog is almost always better off at home.