What does kennel cough sound like?
To hear what kennel cough sounds like, go to 1.13 on the video. It is a cough with usually a wretch at the end.
What is kennel cough?
Kennel Cough is an air-borne multi-strain cough. It’s highly contagious and if your dog is infected then it prevents walking in a group environment. A vaccination is available from your vet and though it only covers the major strains,it will speed up recovery and minimise symptoms even if your dog does contract it. Kennel cough isn’t dangerous to a healthy adult dog though puppies and older or sick dogs can be very ill with it, it is still a MASSIVE pain in the neck and unpleasant for your dog, so is well worth avoiding.
How do dogs catch kennel cough?
From other dogs and from where other dogs have been which is why we take sure care with it. it is air borne and is carried in spores so if your dog is sniffing where another dog has been who has the disease, then your dog can still pick it up even if not in contact with the carrier dog. It is often picked up in boarding kennels or rescue centres, dog shows and small dog parks.
Help! What do i do???
Prevention is best
- MAKE SURE YOUR DOG IS UP TO DATE WITH THE KENNEL COUGH VACCINATION. Always ask for it when you go for the annual booster. And if you haven’t got it already, then please make an appointment asap as this becomes more common during the summer.
- As kennel cough vax isn’t part of the normal series of vaccinations please do make sure you ask for it it addition to the standard vaccinations. Your vet may say it isn’t 100% certain it will prevent kennel cough, however it will provide protection from the main strains, and it will minimise symptoms and speed up recovery times if they do come into contact with it.
- Dogs can carry and pass on the disease for up to 2 weeks before they show any symptoms. Therefore it is essential for all dogs walking with Happy Hounds & Cooler Cats to be inoculated for their own protection and the protection of other dogs.
- This is mainly preventable so PLEASE do get them jabbed up!
But what if they do contract it?
- If you notice your dog is coughing, then keep them away from other dogs and lead walk only avoiding coming into contact with other dogs.
- Take to the vets immediately so they can confirm and administer antibiotics.
- PLEASE inform Happy Hounds & Cooler Cats immediately so we can inform other dogs and put in place our kennel cough procedure.
Treatment: Vaccination, antibiotics and isolation from other dogs.
Incubation period: 2 weeks